Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Veteran, Former Cop, Republican

Jim Rassman, whose life was saved by John Kerry in Vietnam, wrote an op-ed piece in today's Wall Street Journal. This is an excerpt:
Nobody asked me to join John's campaign. Why would they? I am a Republican, and for more than 30 years I have largely voted for Republicans. I volunteered for his campaign because I have seen John Kerry in the worst of conditions. I know his character. I've witnessed his bravery and leadership under fire. And I truly know he will be a great commander in chief.

Now, 35 years after the fact, some Republican-financed Swift Boat Veterans for Bush are suddenly lying about John Kerry's service in Vietnam; they are calling him a traitor because he spoke out against the Nixon administration's failed policies in Vietnam. Some of these Republican-sponsored veterans are the same ones who spoke out against John at the behest of the Nixon administration in 1971. But this time their attacks are more vicious, their lies cut deep and are directed not just at John Kerry, but at me and each of his crewmates as well. This hate-filled ad asserts that I was not under fire; it questions my words and Navy records. This smear campaign has been launched by people without decency, people who don't understand the bond of those who serve in combat.
A Vietnam vet. A former cop. A republican.

We all know why the Swift Boat Whores have chosen to disgrace themselves. Let's hope they desist before further polluting the political atmosphere with their cowardly lies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home